It is our collective responsibility to understand the implications of a racially homogenous tech workforce and take steps to increase the diversity in ux design and other tech roles. Without greater racial diversity, we limit our abilities to do truly inclusive, empathetic work.
This page provides a running list of steps and resources related to racial diversity in design/tech.
Understand how and why technology can amplify racism, perpetuate biases, and exclude BIPOC:
- Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism by Safiya Umoja Noble
- Race After Technology: Abolitionist Tools for the New Jim Code by Ruha Benjamin
- Airbnb’s racism problem isn’t going away any time soon (Splinter)
- The (Frustrating) User Experience of Defining Your Own Ethnicity by Fabricio Teixeira
- Inside Nextdoor’s ‘Karen problem’ (The Verge)
Seek out resources that amplify the work of designers of color and hire them(!):
Learn how to design for diversity from the start in your products:
- How to Begin Designing for Diversity by Boyuan Gao and Jahan Mantin of Project Inkblot
- How to infuse diversity and inclusion into your design (SF Design Week)